Salmon Chaos

Jochen Fromm-5
A nice example of an unintended consequence: a restaurant chain in Taiwan offered free all-you-can-eat sushi to anyone who has "gui yu" - the Chinese name for Salmon - in their name. Since changing your name is easy and cheap in Taiwan, people started to change their name so that it includes salmon...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/salmon-chaos-taiwan-people-change-their-names-get-free-sushi-n1261506

-J.

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Salmon Chaos

Jochen Fromm-5
It reminds me of the Cobra effect that Russ often uses as an example for unintended consequences: offer an incentive or attractive reward, and people will find a way to get it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

-J.

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Salmon Chaos

thompnickson2

And THIS reminds me of the unforeseen consequences of harboring 0-day vulnerabilities.

It reminds me of the Cobra effect that Russ often uses as an example for unintended consequences: offer an incentive or attractive reward, and people will find a way to get it

-J.

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Salmon Chaos

Jochen Fromm-5
Yes, I am no expert about it but it sounds like a bad idea to me
https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/23/microsoft_chinese_nsa

-J.