Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Marcus G. Daniels
Personally, I think all of human science was entangled into the brains of lucky humans by an 10,000 year old Octopus in the seas of Europa.  Her name is Pauly.

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

jon zingale
Frank,

To some extent, your response is indicative of the psychoanalytic
ends I criticize, the mommy-daddy-me Oedipal construction. Rather than
pick up on the opportunity presented by the conversation to engage in an
act of creativity (contributing to a forum), you use your agency to make
an authoritative (daddy) appeal to an object away from yourself and your
agency (the Wikipedia article). This action strikes me as functionally
different than Glen's earlier reference, say. While Glen's appeal acts to
ground and facilitate a living discussion, yours aims to end one. I felt
that the question I asked was fair, to hum a few bars regarding a
connection you are making that perhaps could contribute. If this sort of
short-circuiting of concepts and conversation is what I can expect from
practitioners of psychoanalytic theory, well, maybe it's not for me.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Frank Wimberly-2
Jon,

I am sorry I disappointed you.  My understanding of object relations theory is like swiss cheese and I chose not to provide an inadequate response by humming a few bars.  By the way, object-relations theory provides a non-Oedipal alternative to your interpretation as explained by the Wikipedia article.  I became the withholding bad object to you.  I hope you will be able to integrate that with the good object I have been at times.

Good for Glen.

I am not a practitioner of psychoanalytic theory but it may not be for you.  As for psychoanalytic treatment, see the last paragraph of the Wikipedia article.

Warmly,

Frank

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:09 PM jon zingale <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Frank Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505 670-9918

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

gepr

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306068036_Psychiatry_as_Bullshit

uǝʃƃ ⊥ glen

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Marcus G. Daniels
By that definition most of medicine is bullshit.

On 4/29/21 3:21 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I am sorry I disappointed you.  My understanding of object relations theory is like swiss cheese and I chose not to provide an inadequate response by humming a few bars.  By the way, object-relations theory provides a non-Oedipal alternative to your interpretation as explained by the Wikipedia article.  I became the withholding bad object to you.  I hope you will be able to integrate that with the good object I have been at times.
>
> Good for Glen.
>
> I am not a practitioner of psychoanalytic theory but it may not be for you.  As for psychoanalytic /treatment, /see the last paragraph of the Wikipedia article.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Frank
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:09 PM jon zingale <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Frank,
>
>     To some extent, your response is indicative of the psychoanalytic
>     ends I criticize, the mommy-daddy-me Oedipal construction. Rather than
>     pick up on the opportunity presented by the conversation to engage in an
>     act of creativity (contributing to a forum), you use your agency to make
>     an authoritative (daddy) appeal to an object away from yourself and your
>     agency (the Wikipedia article). This action strikes me as functionally
>     different than Glen's earlier reference, say. While Glen's appeal acts to
>     ground and facilitate a living discussion, yours aims to end one. I felt
>     that the question I asked was fair, to hum a few bars regarding a
>     connection you are making that perhaps could contribute. If this sort of
>     short-circuiting of concepts and conversation is what I can expect from
>     practitioners of psychoanalytic theory, well, maybe it's not for me.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

jon zingale
Frank,

There is no disappointment beyond what I have come to expect.
It simply seemed an opportunity to elaborate on a theme.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

gepr
To make that claim, you'd have to walk through all the medicine that's happening, analgesics, physical therapy, acupuncture, dentistry, etc.. Walking through the psychiatry that's happening is a much smaller task. I agree there does seem to be a lot of it, though ... I just  have no idea if it's *most*.

As long as I'm logging opinions, I'd answer Jon's question about psycho*dynamics* with the idea I think I got from Thomas Saaz, that it's fundamentally about creating a therapist-patient relationship ... dovetailing 2 types of raw persuasion/manipulation in order to achieve the ends of the therapist or patient (or both). My guess is the tone of that coercion depends deeply on the 2 parties. Some authoritarian therapists may rely on daddy-mommy-child constructs. Others may be more egalitarian, pushing the ethical boundaries on friendship with one's patients. Etc. Lots of people who lack intimate relationships might come to a better place through such intentional relationship forming.

But it needn't be through psychodynamics. I know a few people who've done it with their fitness coach, or life coach. One guy I knew back in Texas regularly visited a round-robin of prostitutes. I joke with my bartenders that I pay them to be my friends ... Good jokes must have some truth in them.

uǝʃƃ ⊥ glen

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Frank Wimberly-2
Sometime around twenty years ago I was approached by a company that was a spinoff of Kaiser-Permanente.  They have access to decades of medical records about millions of patients.  Their goal was to determine how much of medical advice given to patients is evidence-based versus traditional rule-based responses to patient symptoms and complaints.  Their preliminary analysis was that about 25% was evidence-based.  I asked my primary care provider what he thought and he wasn't surprised.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505

505 670-9918
Santa Fe, NM

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021, 4:52 PM Marcus Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
By that definition most of medicine is bullshit.

On 4/29/21 3:21 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I am sorry I disappointed you.  My understanding of object relations theory is like swiss cheese and I chose not to provide an inadequate response by humming a few bars.  By the way, object-relations theory provides a non-Oedipal alternative to your interpretation as explained by the Wikipedia article.  I became the withholding bad object to you.  I hope you will be able to integrate that with the good object I have been at times.
>
> Good for Glen.
>
> I am not a practitioner of psychoanalytic theory but it may not be for you.  As for psychoanalytic /treatment, /see the last paragraph of the Wikipedia article.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Frank
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:09 PM jon zingale <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Frank,
>
>     To some extent, your response is indicative of the psychoanalytic
>     ends I criticize, the mommy-daddy-me Oedipal construction. Rather than
>     pick up on the opportunity presented by the conversation to engage in an
>     act of creativity (contributing to a forum), you use your agency to make
>     an authoritative (daddy) appeal to an object away from yourself and your
>     agency (the Wikipedia article). This action strikes me as functionally
>     different than Glen's earlier reference, say. While Glen's appeal acts to
>     ground and facilitate a living discussion, yours aims to end one. I felt
>     that the question I asked was fair, to hum a few bars regarding a
>     connection you are making that perhaps could contribute. If this sort of
>     short-circuiting of concepts and conversation is what I can expect from
>     practitioners of psychoanalytic theory, well, maybe it's not for me.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Frank Wimberly-2
Since most who have opinions won't read the Wikipedia article I copy the paragraph at the end that I recommended to Jon here.

Numerous research studies have found that most all models of psychotherapy are equally helpful, the difference mainly being the quality of the individual therapist, not the theory the therapist subscribes to. Object Relations Theory attempts to explain this phenomenon via the theory of the Good Object. If a therapist can be patient and empathic, most clients improve their functioning in their world. The client carries with them a picture of the empathic therapist that helps them cope with the stressors of daily life, regardless of what theory of psychology they subscribe to.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505

505 670-9918
Santa Fe, NM

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021, 5:14 PM uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ <[hidden email]> wrote:
To make that claim, you'd have to walk through all the medicine that's happening, analgesics, physical therapy, acupuncture, dentistry, etc.. Walking through the psychiatry that's happening is a much smaller task. I agree there does seem to be a lot of it, though ... I just  have no idea if it's *most*.

As long as I'm logging opinions, I'd answer Jon's question about psycho*dynamics* with the idea I think I got from Thomas Saaz, that it's fundamentally about creating a therapist-patient relationship ... dovetailing 2 types of raw persuasion/manipulation in order to achieve the ends of the therapist or patient (or both). My guess is the tone of that coercion depends deeply on the 2 parties. Some authoritarian therapists may rely on daddy-mommy-child constructs. Others may be more egalitarian, pushing the ethical boundaries on friendship with one's patients. Etc. Lots of people who lack intimate relationships might come to a better place through such intentional relationship forming.

But it needn't be through psychodynamics. I know a few people who've done it with their fitness coach, or life coach. One guy I knew back in Texas regularly visited a round-robin of prostitutes. I joke with my bartenders that I pay them to be my friends ... Good jokes must have some truth in them.

On 4/29/21 3:47 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> By that definition most of medicine is bullshit.

Following up on Frank's remark, there are these HUGE electronic health & biobank efforts (UK, VA, Kaiser, Explorys), that give testable hypothesis through population-based statistical inference.  They give no insight as to why certain relations exist, but I don't think it is fair to expect there be a "model of the mental order" in order to identify deviations from normalness that are undesired, and then use evidence-based methods to suggest drugs to test.   It is just that until recently it couldn't be done at scale.
Some of the testing might identify side-effects or long term health risks.  That doesn't mean the effort is bullshit.
To make that claim, you'd have to walk through all the medicine that's happening, analgesics, physical therapy, acupuncture, dentistry, etc.. Walking through the psychiatry that's happening is a much smaller task. I agree there does seem to be a lot of it, though ... I just  have no idea if it's *most*.

As long as I'm logging opinions, I'd answer Jon's question about psycho*dynamics* with the idea I think I got from Thomas Saaz, that it's fundamentally about creating a therapist-patient relationship ... dovetailing 2 types of raw persuasion/manipulation in order to achieve the ends of the therapist or patient (or both). My guess is the tone of that coercion depends deeply on the 2 parties. Some authoritarian therapists may rely on daddy-mommy-child constructs. Others may be more egalitarian, pushing the ethical boundaries on friendship with one's patients. Etc. Lots of people who lack intimate relationships might come to a better place through such intentional relationship forming.

But it needn't be through psychodynamics. I know a few people who've done it with their fitness coach, or life coach. One guy I knew back in Texas regularly visited a round-robin of prostitutes. I joke with my bartenders that I pay them to be my friends ... Good jokes must have some truth in them.

On 4/29/21 3:47 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> By that definition most of medicine is bullshit.

Obviously. But it's a bit revisionist to project our data-driven inductivism back into the past. The not-true, not-false hand-waving McLaren points out was not a Noble lie told to prep everyone for the day when induction would work. They were spreading bullsh¡t for their own purposes.

Had they been more authentic, like the biologists I've run across, and admitted their theory isn't unquestionably coherent, the spread of bullsh¡t would have been mitigated.

But whatever, I agree with your previous sentiment that what matters is that an insight obtained and tracing the learning algorithm at work. With the for-profit Epic holding > 48% market share in EHR, we do stand a chance of effective induction, even if Epic's business model is a little too much like SAP. Upper ontologies might save our butts at this point, helping harmonize all that very crappy and disparate induction-thwarting data.

And I just noticed I conflated a man (Szasz) with a variety of hops (Saaz), that must be me observing myself preparing to brew. 8^D

uǝʃƃ ⊥ glen

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

gepr
Living near Evergreen has helped me come to a similar conclusion, that I might learn quite a bit from the rationalist bogeys "postmodern", "gender studies", etc. I regularly meet graduates from Evergreen in arguments with libertarians and right wingers in the pubs. I haven't met too many rationalists in the pubs, perhaps because they're too hell-bent on myopic optimization to kill a few brain cells with alcohol. But in these arguments, the agility of the Evergreen alum is flat-out amazing. It's quite similar to Oregon. We lived in spitting distance to Reed. But we were in Clackastan county, which has fewer righties than here in Olympia, but still way more than Portland, proper. So, we'd see a nice gradient of rhetorical agility flowing downhill from Reed.

I used to hold it as a priority to live in "university towns". But now I think I'm prejudiced to living near liberal arts universities. A tech-heavy, rationalist-heavy place no longer looks so appealing.

uǝʃƃ ⊥ glen

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Marcus G. Daniels
Sheesh, Reed, Evergreen.  It's like freaking Ice-9.  :-)

Living near Evergreen has helped me come to a similar conclusion, that I might learn quite a bit from the rationalist bogeys "postmodern", "gender studies", etc. I regularly meet graduates from Evergreen in arguments with libertarians and right wingers in the pubs. I haven't met too many rationalists in the pubs, perhaps because they're too hell-bent on myopic optimization to kill a few brain cells with alcohol. But in these arguments, the agility of the Evergreen alum is flat-out amazing. It's quite similar to Oregon. We lived in spitting distance to Reed. But we were in Clackastan county, which has fewer righties than here in Olympia, but still way more than Portland, proper. So, we'd see a nice gradient of rhetorical agility flowing downhill from Reed.

I used to hold it as a priority to live in "university towns". But now I think I'm prejudiced to living near liberal arts universities. A tech-heavy, rationalist-heavy place no longer looks so appealing.

On 4/29/21 11:08 AM, jon zingale wrote:

> This article makes me think that I would enjoy a course in queer studies.
> I am interested to see how tools developed there are utilized and how
> such analyses can provide insight into questions of boundary, object,
> and identity. I am not sure of many other fields of study where there
> is such an explicit emphasis on developing a rich theory of mereology,
> and it does not take too much imagination to see that creating such
> generalized tools and techniques can be of value to complexity science.
> Glen's Wikipedia reference to Barad's agential realism summarizes some
> of what I am finding interesting and applicable to the philosophy of
> science. There is a distinct deconstructional component to the writing.
> I appreciate that the author's approach is not purely deconstruction
> for its own sake, but part of a larger project of reconstruction.
> Discovery versus construction appears, to me, a difference between
> science and engineering. The article appears to offer more to the
> former. Maybe amoeba's are altruists.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

gepr
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
uǝʃƃ ⊥ glen

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

jon zingale
At times, I miss living near Reed. Sometime in my twenties, my friends
Ralf and Allison and I rented a car and drove to Columbus Ohio where we
heard that John Griggs Thompson was to speak. None of us felt like
springing for a hotel room and decided instead to drink coffee and eat
donuts at Buckeye Donuts until the lecture the next morning. The donut
shop was cramped and teeming with students and Columbus's homeless.
The three of us sat in the window and watched the falling snow. Allison
and I were learning to tie Celtic knots and Ralf sat coloring and writing
poetry on index cards.

A few feet away from us, a budding engineering student attempted to spit
game with another student. The former, male and typical, tried his best
to impress the young woman with the status and money that he would one
day have as a working engineer. We watched the young woman roll her eyes,
cooly flirt, and troll the oblivious boy with anti-rationalist rhetoric.
At some point she excused herself, she would need to attend a class the
next morning. As she squeezed by us, between the swiveling diner
stools, Ralf caught her arm, looked into her eyes, and said, "Would
you care to hear a poem about compost tea"?

That night, the three of us were invited back to this young woman's
house. Her absent parents were both ceramicists and it showed. Every
possible spandrel was decorated with cup handles, clay faces, and other
abstract forms. The next morning we drank coffee in her kitchen and read
the sad news that John Griggs Thompson's lecture would be canceled due
to his poor health.

The whole affair struck me as being a sort of anti-Aesopian fable.

One where, if I needed a moral it would be
that one can get more honey with a poem,
one involving compost tea.

or alternatively, that youth is a donut to be eaten on the spot.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

jon zingale
"The villagers with pitch forks won't distinguish between Karen Barad and
David Deutsch."

Arguably, we don't now.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

thompnickson2
So, I think I am a rationalist, right?  So if anybody is doing pearl clutching on this list, it's me.  So, here goes.

Is rationality the same as rationalism.  You, glen, are patently rational.  Does that make you a rationalist?  I want you to clarify the meanings of your words, remove, to the extent possible, ambituities in how you use them, try to extract the same meanings FROM them that you put INTO them.  That seems rational to me.  Does that make me a rationalist?

Let's start there.

Nick

Ha! Well, no worries. Not only are liberal arts unis dying rapidly, the entire university system is dying, which is why, as problematic as it is, https://www.mikeroweworks.org/ is a good thing in principle. The rationalists are like refined royals clutching their pearls in response to naughty words spoken by (postmodernist, gender studies) libertine "gentlemen". The villagers with pitch forks won't distinguish between Karen Barad and David Deutsch.

On 4/30/21 8:28 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> Sheesh, Reed, Evergreen.  It's like freaking Ice-9.  :-)

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Marcus G. Daniels
If they only had hand-to-hand combat and marksmanship classes, a story about Reed campus life could make for a good Netflix cult story.   Like the St. Johns kids.

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

thompnickson2
A great story.  Thank you Jon.

Are we in danger of confusing here, irrationality with rationality with
occasional random jumps.  Your story is only intelligible if you understand
the participants as rational.