Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

thompnickson2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructional_scaffolding#Theory_of_scaffolding

Great meeting, today.  Sorry I overslept.  I promised last week to provide a definition of “scaffolding”,  as in to “scaffold” learning, or some other frail or undetermined process, so as to facilitate its success.  For me the clearest example of scaffolding I know is what the surgical nurse does for the surgeon when she (sorry) lays out his tools in order on the tray beside him.  It is also connected in my mind with a theory of how best to teach kids stuff.  Your strategy should always be somewhere in the middle ground between letting the kid figure it out for himself and just doing it for the kid. Scaffolding relates to the concept of the Zone of Proximal Development, which is the “space” between the tasks which the kid can do expertly and the tasks the kid has no idea how to do them.  So, for instance, in playing a game which involves say, putting blocks into appropriately shaped windows, the mother may do it once her self, then not do it herself, but hold the block in the right order in her hand near the child, then hold them in a scrambled order in her hand so the child has to select the order, and finally spill the blocks out and leave the child to find them himself.  So at each stage she designs her support the child’s idea  needs, withdrawing support as the child becomes more capable.   To me (and perhaps me, alone) the of scaffolding relates to the question of the origin of life debate because it contrasts with the idea of “self” organization, which I have never understood.  Instead of imagining that chemicals just lie about in cess pools until a miracle happens, the theory asserts that life was scaffolded by white smokers in the deep ocean.  White smokers are volcanic vents in the deep ocean floor that are constantly emitting a flow of very hot water laden with solutes.  As the water cools it forms intricate structures with minute cavities which mimic, in some regards, the properties of cells.  Thus the smokers (on this theory) scaffold life by making cell boundaries before there are cell walls to contain the somatoplasm .

All the Erics will correct me, but that is the best I can do with my ambulator knowledge.

Nick

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Marcus G. Daniels

Regarding engaging minorities in the workforce, I have heard this claim  “It is important to have someone that looks like you and has similar shared experiences in the workplace.”   Isn’t this just more tribalism, as it doesn’t actually maximize diversity?    If it is true, I imagine it has something to with scaffolding.   This makes me wonder if scaffolding is really a good thing, or if it is an expected outcome of a struggle for power.    The hypothesis is that you can’t really be you unless you build your own scaffolding.

It also reminds me of the focus of some activists for marriage equality.   Essentially, the “born this way” claim.   It seems to take the short-term goal by way of an assertion rather than asking the more expansive question of why would society would dare to have expectations about sexual preference in the first place?

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

thompnickson2

I was asked to say what scaffolding was, not to evaluate it.  UT admits all students from the top10percent of their highschool classes no matter how lousy the highschools are.  So, what then to do with the kids from lousy highschools.  One approach is not to give them remedial courses but to main stream them, but give them eceptional levels of support in those classes, so they are learning the same material as the regular students, but getting extra help in doing it.  Apparently, a lot of this extra help consists in helping a student to understand what the task is, in effect undoing BAD habits learned in impoverished learning situations.  Once the kid is up to speed, the scaffold is removed.

That’s the concept.  Apply whatever values you chose to it.

[...]

jon zingale
This week, thanks to my friend Zeke, I have been thinking about a fairly
well-known data compression algorithm called LZW. Unlike Huffman codes,
which rely on an apriori knowledge of character frequencies, LZW
*Scaffolds* it's adaptive process by constructing a dictionary. While this
dictionary is crucial to the functioning of the algorithm, it appears as
a side-effect in that, it is immediately discarded once LZW has succeeded
in producing its code. The codes in the dictionary can be interpreted as
having an inhibitory function on the output code. That is, finding a code
in the dictionary allows the algorithm to skip a code. I would be curious
to know about ways that similar processes arise in the context of biology,
genetics. For instance, and simply with the aim to be provocative, to
what extent might the production of peptides facilitate the catalyzation
and constraining of more complicated protein interactions?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

thompnickson2
Ahhh Zeke.  Tell him I miss him.

I think your intuition is right.  ARE THERE ANY PROPER BIOLOGISTS IN HEARING
RANGE?

Nick Thompson
[hidden email]
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

[...]

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam un/subscribe

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Marcus G. Daniels
Chromatin remodeling and other epigenetic modifications come to mind.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/7/eabd7605

I realize I am not matching Nick's predicate.

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam un/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Eric Charles-2
This sounds like a lot of big fancy words for very simple things.

From Wikipedia:
Scaffolding is changing the level of support to suit the cognitive potential of the child. Over the course of a teaching session, one can adjust the amount of guidance to fit the child's potential level of performance. More support is offered when a child is having difficulty with a particular task and, over time, less support is provided as the child makes gains on the task.

So, like.... yeah... If something is too hard for someone to do, and you make it easier, then he/she might be able to do it. That ain't rocket science. It also fits in perfectly well with operant conditioning approaches (i.e., shaping, chaining). There is a reason kindergarten art class doesn't declare you a failure if you cannot produce Raphael-esque realism. There is a reason someone who wants to compete a dog in a dog show doesn't start out expecting the dog to be able to do the whole routine.

Later Wikipedia says:
Vygotsky was convinced that a child could be taught any subject efficiently using scaffolding practices by implementing the scaffolds through the zone of proximal development.

Is that different than just saying: "A child can be taught any subject if you give them easy bits at the start, and move to harder bits at a pace the child can keep up with." ??

Maybe we need to add: "And if they get stuck, try giving them a bit more guidance." ??

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 7:08 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Well, Eric;  there you go, shrugging again.

That would be like saying of “affordance”, something you can do something with.

Here, let me make “scaffolding” more palatable to you.

To Scaffold a task, is to provide affordances for its successful completion.  Is that better?

I don’t think providing instruction is an essential feature of scaffolding.  The wise parent keeps his effing mouth shut.  As a Famous Artist once said to me at a book signing when I asked her What could I do to help my prodigious artist grandson?, she said “Buy art materials!”

Or as Kahil Gibran once famously said: “You are the bow from which your children as arrows fly; let you bending in the hands of The Archer be for joy.”

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Stephen Guerin-5
On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 5:48 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Or as Kahil Gibran once famously said: “You are the bow from which your children as arrows fly; let you bending in the hands of The Archer be for joy.”

Nick you turned me on to this poem a couple of weeks ago and I think it's beautiful. Who/What do you understand the Archer to be?

On Children

Kahlil Gibran - 1883-1931

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of Children.
     And he said:
     Your children are not your children.
     They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
     They come through you but not from you,
     And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

     You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
     For they have their own thoughts.
     You may house their bodies but not their souls,
     For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
     You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
     For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
     You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
     The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
     Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
     For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

thompnickson2

Hi, Steve,

She’s about seven feet tall, has two gigantic hounds at her side, wears tall boos, short skirt, works out like CRAZY.  When she bends the bow, she always say, “Easy now.  Relax.  This may stretch a bit.”  Despite this kindly warning, I am never ready for the “twang!”

How do you imagine Her.

Nick

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Stephen Guerin-5
Nick asks:
| How do you imagine Her.

I interpret the Archer to be symbolism of an Immanent God in the pantheistic tradition of Spinoza and Harold Morowitz. Looking a little into Khalil Gibran, he is described as a pantheist and Sufi mystic on Wikipedia..

You've referenced this poem twice now and I was curious what the symbolism was for you (Not necessarily if you believe it).

If you want to stick with your original answer, we can return this thread to plumbing the semantic depths of "scaffolding" ;-p

-Stephen

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 6:12 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Steve,

She’s about seven feet tall, has two gigantic hounds at her side, wears tall boos, short skirt, works out like CRAZY.  When she bends the bow, she always say, “Easy now.  Relax.  This may stretch a bit.”  Despite this kindly warning, I am never ready for the “twang!”

How do you imagine Her.

Nick

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Eric Charles-2
That would be like saying of “affordance”, something you can do something with.

Damn it man, sometimes you can't be wrong for trying! An affordance is that you can do something with something. Yes. That's what it is. Etymologically, "affordance" is what you get when you noun the verb "to afford". So, if that doorway affords your passing-through, then we can say there is "an affordance" there.

You should be able to treat all such terminology as useful shorthand. And if someone accuses you of trading in mysticism, you should be able to just drop all the jargon, spend a bit longer saying whatever it is you have to say, and make it obvious there is no mysticism.

When Gibson asserts that we can perceive affordances, he means that we perceive opportunities to cause particular outcomes by means of our actions. The interesting part of the assertion is not that we can do different things under different circumstances. The interesting part of the assertion is that we can perceive such things. And THAT is only really interesting in the context of traditional theories of sensation-perception, which would assert that only much "simpler" aspects of the world are "perceived".

So far as I can tell from the Wikipedia article: If you are talking about "Scaffolding the learning environment to keep the child within the zone of proximate development", you could just as easily talk about "Giving the child tasks they can't quite do on their own." The problem with the first version isn't JUST that the first one is unnecessarily mysterious and jargony, it is also a problem that the first one is somehow longer. If it is longer, it can't even be considered a useful shorthand. Also, I am familiar with many theories of learning, and all the theories I am familiar with would agree that is a good strategy to moderate the difficulty of tasks you give a learner, so I am not sure there is a context that makes the claim interesting, once the jargon is taken out.

P.S. As for 'instruction' the Wikipedia article made a huge deal about verbal stuff being crucial for "scaffolding"... but I agree with you that seems pretty arbitrary... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯