speaking of Ezra Klein

thompnickson2
Glen's posting of an Ezra Klein episode reminded me of one of his that I listened to a few weeks which I found so horrifying that I thought to post it to the list at the time.  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/should-we-edit-our-childrens-genes-would-it-be-cruel-not-to/id1548604447?i=1000515459029
The burden of it that I remember was the agreement between the host and the interviewee that OF COURSE we were going to edit for nose shape and "intelligence".  Get over it!  The hidden assumptions in their discourse were straight out of the 19th century.  OF COURSE we all know what intelligence is and OF COURSE we can select for it and OF COURSE there will be no unforeseen consequences of such selection.

Now I should quickly admit that my actual memory of any of the content is pretty damned dim, and that I may be slandering Klein etc. etc.  But it was one of those situations I get into with ECONOMIST podcasts, where I listen intently to all these lulling high-toned British voices only to realize that I have been delivered into a neo-con sewer.

Nick Thompson
[hidden email]
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/