Fwd: Join us this Thursday - Deepfakes with Giorgio Patrini

Fwd: Join us this Thursday - Deepfakes with Giorgio Patrini

Tom Johnson
FYI

From: School for Advanced Research <[hidden email]>
To: "Dorothy H. Bracey" <[hidden email]>
Date: 04/06/2021 1:21 PM

deepfakes definition

Join us for

"Deepfakes: Commodification, Consequences and Countermeasures"

A Creative Thought Forum event with

Giorgio Patrini, co-founder and CEO of Sensity

Thursday, April 8, 10:00 a.m. Mountain Time

Following the talk, SAR will host a members-only conversation with Patrini
Thursday, April 8, 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

Join Giorgio Patrini, the co-founder and CEO of Sensity, an Amsterdam-based cybersecurity company, for an exploration of deepfake videos in this online Creative Thought Forum talk.

AI-generated audiovisual media has gathered significant attention in the news, social media platforms, security experts and governments alike. Since 2017, these realistic-seeming videos and audio have been referred to as “deepfakes.” The significance of deepfakes is explained by three elements. First, we overview capabilities and accessibility of the technology and its trend towards commodification. Second, we discuss real-world cases of weaponization and other near-term consequences. Third and finally, we consider the technological countermeasures currently being researchers and the industry.

Patrini's talk is part of this year's Creative Thought Forum series. Across the spring, SAR will host virtual programs addressing the theme "Facts and Fraud in a Digital Age."

Register for this presentation

Giorgio Patrini is co-founder and CEO at Sensity, an Amsterdam-based cybersecurity company that protects individuals and organizations from visual threats online, such as “deepfakes.” He earned an MEng in computer engineering from Milan Polytechnic in 2011, and a PhD in machine learning from the Australian National University in 2016 with a thesis on the robustness of deep neural networks to noise. He held postdoctoral research positions within the Australian Federal Governments working on privacy-preserving machine learning and at the University of Amsterdam with research on deep generative models. In 2012 he co-founded Waynaut, a startup acquired by lastminute.com.

SAR Members Conversation with Giorgio Patrini

Thursday, April 8, 11:30 am (Mountain Time)

Following Giorgio Patrini's talk, SAR invites current members to take a deeper dive into the topics during an informal Zoom conversation with the presenter.

What does the future of deepfakes look like? What impact will they have on communities and our understanding of truth going forward? This program provides a unique opportunity to talk with the speaker about his research and ideas.

Free and open to SAR members only. Limited to the first 50 registrants. RSVP to Amy Schiffer, [hidden email]

Home     About     Campus Tours     News     Blog     Calendar     SAR Press     Contact

VISIT SAR ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Watch us on YouTube
Follow us on Instagram
Join our group on LinkedIn

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?

Be sure to add our email address to your address book or safe senders list so our emails get to your inbox.

PO Box 2188, Santa Fe, NM 87504

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/