Friday Fodder

thompnickson2

Dave,

I am going to lead my larding by resending what I sent before, because nobody seems to have read it.

Wow, Dave!  I will “lard” this by Friday!  Watch this space.  For the moment, let me say only the following.  The hyena story, pushing 50 years by now, does have the feel of a well worn tale.  I have not been back to visit that literature since forever, so you are right to be  suspicious.  But remember, the tale is told only to argue for what a spandrel might be, if ever there was a spandrel.  So we have two separate issues.  One is the definition of a spandrel; the other is the question of whether any spandrels exist.  Please keep that separation in mind as we discuss this further.  I further confess my fondness for Kipling (See attached).  I am probably in the last generation of grandparents to read Kipling’s Just So Stories to his grand children;  they are, occasionally, so casually racist that I have to edit as I read.  And yes you do point to a terrible weakness in all evolutionary explanation.  They are historical explanations based on the comparative method, with all the perils that that sort of explanation entails.  (John Dodson take note.) But, after all, so is cosmology, and plate tectonics,  so let’s not panic yet.

This  passage was meant to concede much about Darwinian Explanation and the text to illustrate how any reasonably alert human being (like a child, for instance) can expose its weaknesses.  I don’t think there was anything bendy about it.

For the promised larding, please look down.

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

Re: Friday Fodder

jon zingale
"""
I feel like I completely understand your problem, but cannot solve it.  You
point to, what is for me, the most  bemusing problem in evolutionary theory,
the evolution of natural selection.  Given the developmental entanglement of
traits, how do they become modules for the purpose of selection.  The
tension between developmental biologists and Dawkins-like biologists is
around this poing.  Nobody disagrees that there is a lot of entanglement and
nobody disagrees that some traits get selected.  I agree that the burden of
proof lies on the side of selection theorist to explain how selection itself
is possible!  This what I find so tempting about Stephen’s energy flow
ideas.   Is there a “least action” explanation for modularity?
"""

Similarly, is this a place where SteveG-style descriptions will meet
Gibson-style explanations?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Friday Fodder

thompnickson2
Jon,

Say more! I don't yet see the connection.

For me, Gibson hopelessly misunderstands his monist roots.  Direct perception is either a tautology or nonsense.  If one is dualist, and separates the world from our perception of it, then it is nonsense.  If one is a monist, then all experience is direct and calling it "direct" is wasted breath.   There, EricC, I have finally said it!

Still pondering your last contribution to the writing thread.

Nick Thompson
[hidden email]
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

jon zingale
The idea isn't all that clear to me. I am still trying to understand the
various concepts and perspectives in play. What follows is a first-order
attempt. I can sympathize with the need for Gibsonians to disambiguate
experience. There is a need to state direct experience because the
discussion is happening in a room with others that argue for mediated
experience. EricC, et al. write in "The Most Important Thing
Neuropragmatism Can Do":

"""
An essential and vastly underappreciated aspect of the world is the flux
of energy in the ‘empty space’ around us, the light and pressure waves
crisscrossing, chemical gradients, magnetic fields, etc. Gibson labeled
the structural elements of this ambient energy that can support behavior
‘information.’

This information flow is surprisingly stable, as is our access to it
(following the requisite learning). We are not adrift in a ‘blooming,
buzzing confusion’ (to use the oft-misunderstood William James quote).
As with other stable aspects of our ecological niche, we can (and
evidence shows that we do) rely on this information to do a lot of work
for us. We exist in and move through a flow of information and our
behavior emerges as we interact with that flow. There is no need to
construct a model of our environment; as Rodney Brooks famously claims,
we can let the world be its own model.
"""

For Gibsonians, the world exists in an aether of relatively stable and
structured energy, and what we come to do in the world is ultimately
afforded to us via embodiment. That this aether is structured suggests
that there is a difference to exploit, as agents, our aimless wanderings
are channeled, we are coaxed and seduced. That this aether is stable
suggests that we can rely on the value of our habits to a fairly fine-
scale, differences in niche-exploiting paths amplify in time. From what
little I understand, Gibsonians are attempting an explanatory theory of
behavior, why we do and are able to do what we do, via an unmediated
experiencial account. One seemingly crucial detail for such a theory is
that it does not presuppose objects, but rather, when they arise at all,
are a name we can give to sufficiently differentiated experience, that
is, the theory does not (as a mathematical theory might) begin with a
notion of equivalence.

Meanwhile the Noetherians, historically, are interested in a descriptive
and objectifying account of nature. They too, begin with a theory of
differences, namely the differential calculus or the calculus of
variations. Unlike the Gibsonians, however, the Noetherians take as
primitive the notion of equivalence. While this choice confers great
benefits with regards a tremendous conceptual economy, symmetry most
saliently, it seems to have little (predictive nor anticipatory) to say
about the production of new kinds. In other words, accepting equivalence
as a primitive comes at a price. Proving that there exists stable
manifolds, limit cycles, or strange attractors takes work, and much of
the recent history of modern dynamics has found itself in the study of
classifying and modeling the production of bifurcations and other
catastrophes that arise from changing the structural variables of a
given phase space. What such a theory gains from a strong condition like
equivalence it loses in its ability to predict what different ought to
be near.

I should probably say more about connecting the two perspectives, but
again, I am still very much feeling around in the dark. Thinking about
SteveG's ants, it is worth mentioning that given a space of sufficiently
high genus, there is no reason to assume that a given solution is
anywhere near-optimal, nor that once a solution is found that there
would be an impetus to find a better one. The Noetherian solution will
likely be a family of solutions given by the underlying cohomology of
the space. In some, hand-wavy way, this seems to me to correspond to an
aspect of the Gibsonian structured aether. I fantasize that, and in
analogy with the work being done by embodied cognitive scientists to
build a bridge with ecological psychology[1], that the Noetherians and
the Gibsonians will build such a bridge. The former building descriptions
for the latters' explanations.

[1] Radical Embodied Cognitive Science, pg 28, 30

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Friday Fodder

thompnickson2

JZ wrote or quoted

An essential and vastly underappreciated aspect of the world is the flux of energy in the ‘empty space’ around us, the light and pressure waves crisscrossing, chemical gradients, magnetic fields, etc. Gibson labeled the structural elements of this ambient energy that can support behavior ‘information.’

Nick responds.

. Let experience be as random as it could possibly be; indeed, Peirce thinks that experience is approximately that random. Considering all the events that are going on at any one moment -- the ticking of the clock, the whuffing of the wind in the eaves, the drip of the faucet, the ringing of the telephone, the call from the seven-year-old upstairs who cannot find his shoes, the clunking in the heating pipes as the heat comes on, the distant sound of the fire engine passing the end of the street, the entry of the cat through the pet door, the skitter of mouse-feet behind the wainscoting -- most will be likely unrelated to the fact that the egg timer just went off. Perhaps not all, however. Perhaps the cat anticipates cleaning up the egg dishes. Perhaps the same stove that is boiling the egg water has lit a fire in the chimney. But whatever relations we might discover amongst all these events, we can find an infinite number of other temporally contiguous events that are not related to them. Thus, as Peirce says, events are just about as random as anybody could care them to be.  But – and here is the main point – to the extent that events are related, these relations would be useful. They would, for instance allow the cat to predict that there would be food in a few moments, the mouse to predict that the cat has entered the house, and you to predict, among other things, that your eggs are ready. For this reason, on Peirce’s account, organisms are designed to ferret out these few regularities and take action based on them.

In short, if perception is direct, it comes only to the prepared mind and there are an infinity of fluxes that must go unnoticed.

Nick

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

jon zingale
This post was updated on .
FWIW, I interpret such flux as fascial. My skin is not made of an infinity of
points, it is a sheet that confers aggregate information. The prepared mind,
the situated body, whatever. There is some limited subject, limited in its
ability to know what there is to know, but embodied in the world
none-the-less. Are we disagreeing about the extent to which the Gibsonians
and the Peirceans find the world to be random? Where do you believe, if
anywhere, that the Gibsonians or the Peirceans will find connections with
the Noetherians?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam

Re: Friday Fodder

Prof David West
From Nick

    "In short, if perception is direct, it comes only to the prepared mind and there are an infinity of fluxes that must go unnoticed." (emphasis mine)

    My contention, since circa 1987, is that they are not unnoticed. Each and every one of the individual photons (and the energy fluxes and chemical gradients) encountered by the organism are perceived; and all of them contribute to / constitute a whole that "you" are aware of and able to respond to.

    Hence things like the "cocktail party effect."

    True, organisms (at least those where we can observe) do have a tendency, for survival purposes, to create "attention bubbles" that filter out much of what is perceived. But these attention bubbles are pure fiction, not only a subset of our perception but habitual interpretations of that subset and projections upon that reality.

     We can 'play' with those "attention bubbles." LSD allows us to pay attention to a different, usually much expanded, subset and allows alternative interpretations of that subset.

     I am planning a non-drug / non-meditation, three day, "play" experiment in May. Won't share details, TMI, but mention it only to point out that there are lots of ways to 'deconstruct reality' and gain insights thereby.

davew

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021, at 9:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

JZ wrote or quoted

[...]

Eric Charles-2
In Friday's meeting I apologized to Jon that I hadn't given him a proper reply to his interesting prods, but that Nick's comments had somehow mentally blocked me from doing so. Nick said: "For me, Gibson hopelessly misunderstands his monist roots.  Direct perception is either a tautology or nonsense."

I promise Jon a good reply later this weekend, as I get past that blockage with the following:

Look, prick, there are some very different discussions to be had here, and pretending they are all the same discussion doesn't help anyone. The philosophical monist doesn't get to pretend there is no mechanism involved in perception any more than they get to pretend there is no mechanism involved in a bridge bearing weight.

Indirect-perception happens all the time. Looking at my wall right now, I see a picture of Christi at our wedding. To me that picture re-presents her, and that event, and if there is any sense in which I "perceive" her while looking at the picture, that perception is not-direct, it is mediated by the six-inch tall, flat, still, image. Separately, when I turn my head about 15 degrees to the right, I see a walk-through-able doorway, my open-able fridge door, a coffee-cup-put-onable counter-top, a navigable hallway leading to my family room, etc. Need I tell the same type of story about all of those things that I told about seeing Christi in our wedding picture? Are all my perceptions mediated in that same sort of way? Or is there some sense in which I perceive most objects and events around me more directly than that?

To answer those question, Gibson innovated an impressive array of conceptual elements, including the idea of the ambient energy arrays as ecological elements, invariants structures in those array, specificity as a property of a subset of those invariants, and an analysis of the evolutionary and developmental ways in which organisms can attune to those specifying-invariants, and how all that comes together to allow organisms to behave accurately with respect to the objects and events around them. And all of that stands as a huge contribution to the literature, regardless of anyone's thoughts about the particular term "direct perception" and it's history; especially if one is somehow trying to approach that term absent recognition of its multi-century history. Gibson's description of the perceptual mechanism shows how we can explain organism's perception of the functional implications of objects and events, without (in the course of that explanation) punching the tar-baby of picture perception and getting stuck with a dualistic cartesian theatre.

That explanation connects strongly with the literatures on dynamics system, perceptual control theory, agent based modeling, and others. And in a world where most people in the field are still arguing that all perception is indirect, it makes sense to label what Gibson is doing a theory of direct perception. Your suggestion that it is a moral betrayal of values to call it anything other than "perception" with no modifier, is dumb.

Why not just call your system "The Design Perspective"?!? Or to just pick one of those words? The answer is simple: Because "Natural Design" distinguishes your approach from those you are trying to chastise, and by-sheer-virtue-of-label connects your approach with the literature on "Natural Selection". Other people get to do things like that too. Gibson's work fits within the long tradition of trying to defend the possibility of direct perception, and there's nothing wrong with him and his supporters making that clear.

AND even though I started out by saying there are different conversations to be had, they are not completely unconnected. You don't get to do the bullshit Kantian move (that Peirce and so many other philosophers seems to follow) of simply declaring the issues unrelated - that there is a scientific psychology and a metaphysical psychology and never the twain shall meet. No matter how much it seems like those should be two separate things, either the scientific psychology can (ultimately) handle the content of the metaphysical psychology or both sides are just blowing wind. So, if you want to argue for a monist world, you can't go around taking a giant dump on the work of anyone trying to figure out how we can have mechanisms in such a world. Whatever it is that people are -- physical people, in a physical world -- those hunks of meat have to be able, through some process of dynamic interaction with their surroundings, to do whatever it is your philosophy says they are doing.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 6:40 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jon,

Say more! I don't yet see the connection.

For me, Gibson hopelessly misunderstands his monist roots.  Direct perception is either a tautology or nonsense.  If one is dualist, and separates the world from our perception of it, then it is nonsense.  If one is a monist, then all experience is direct and calling it "direct" is wasted breath.   There, EricC, I have finally said it!

Still pondering your last contribution to the writing thread.

Nick Thompson
[hidden email]
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

thompnickson2

Dear Eric,

Use your words!  Tell me how you FEEL!  (};-)]

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

thompnickson2

Not to worry, Gary.  Just a little collaborators’ tiff.  Eric has done more to support my staying alive in old age than any other individual human being.  He can call me anything he wants.  The other big sustaining force has, of course, been FRIAM itself.   I feel I owe my life to you guys.  Otherwise, I would be sitting in my rocking chair watching the birds at my feeder.

I just wish, wish, WISH we had an expert in epigenetics – evo- devo in our midst.  Somebody who could talk in detail about the kinds of mechanisms that Marcus mentioned.  My sole knowledge in this area is from Sean Carroll’s two books, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and The Making of the Fittest, which are long in the tooth, but which I still  much recommend. However, a lot must have happened , and I don’t know any of it.

Always great to hear from you,

Nick

Nick Thompson

[hidden email]

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

Marcus G. Daniels

Often it seems like you are more interested in compendiums or holding (virtual) lecture series than you are in just jumping in to the literature.  These experts are developing in real time.

archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Friday Fodder

thompnickson2

Marcus  You are correct.  I read a lot of tertiary literature.  n