Anticipate wildfires using machine learning

Anticipate wildfires using machine learning

Jochen Fromm-5
Wildfires are the last step before desertification. We need to prevent it confine them. Is it possible to increase the accuracy of wildfire predictions using machine learning?
https://towardsdatascience.com/anticipating-wildfires-with-machine-learning-tools-5eb43b450d36

-J.

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Anticipate wildfires using machine learning

cody dooderson
I might be entering into this conversation out of context. I have seen a lot of forest fire conversations on FRIAM but have been too lazy to read them. Also I am not an ecologist.
I disagree that wildfires are always the last step before desertification. Forests go through cycles, often called ecological successions, and often successions include fire. A lot of experts agree that frequent low intensity wildfires promote biodiversity. The western United States has been effectively putting out wildfires for about the last century, which led to dense monocultures that are prime for large destructive fires. It is believed that before our intervention the forests were thinner and burned more often. Historic fires were lower intensity and burned in more of a mosaic pattern. That mosaic pattern of burned landscapes is a significant contributor to biodiversity. A mature forest harbors different kinds of organisms than does a freshly burned one or one in an intermediate stage of growth. When there is a mosaic pattern of say grassland and mature forest, the forest is usually much more diverse. When a forest is more diverse it is healthier, usually.

Cody Smith